Sunday, September 19, 2010

Peanut Butter

We got the go ahead from Levi's pediatrician at his 12 month visit to feed him whatever we eat. We had PB&J for lunch yesterday and I was excited to add another option to our growing lunch menu.

However, 15 seconds into his first bite he started crying and pulling on his tongue. Not too long after that he had hives on his face and neck. Uggg, such a scary thing. We gave him some Benadryl and headed off to Urgent Care. There was a crowded waiting room and a 45 minute wait but they took Levi right away. His O2 sats were low but after sitting for a bit they bounced back up and his hives were nearly gone. The doctor we saw was hesitant to label him with a peanut allergy so he has a temporary one for now. Hopefully we'll know more when we follow up with his Pediatrician later this week. Until then it's no nuts for the beastman.


Now we're left wondering how in the world we ended up with a kiddo who's potentially allergic to peanuts!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no....him too??!! That sounds like the same reaction his cousin Olia had the first, and only,
    time she ever had peanut butter. I think Janna's too scared to try it again. Don't know of anyone else in the family ever having any problems....hope he and Olia both outgrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I'm glad it didn't take too long for the hives and swelling to go down. Good luck with your doctor and learning more about his allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsay.. I am a friend of Jason's from Purdue and I just love reading your blog and watching your precious little boy grow! Both my girls had no peanut allergies but then last Fall I gave them some Pecan covered apples and it was instant hives all over their faces and chests... IT WAS SO SCARY! We had them tested with an allergist and everything came back negative... we tried them again and the same thing happened (more hives). So we are just staying away from them! Goodluck with your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olia has had peanut butter several different times. It took us about three times of it to realize it was the peanut butter she was reacting to. We try to avoid obvios peanuts & paenut butter (she's had no problems with other nuts). The last couple of times she has gotten a couple bites (I had a treat on my plate and she snagged some before I realized it and Gramps Leffert forgot about it and fed her some of his peanut butter sandwich) She has not had any reactions. I still plan to ask the Dr. @ her 2-yr appt. but am hoping it is something she has grown out of. Maybe Levi will, too.

    ReplyDelete