Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Family That Bikes Together Stays Together!

I've been hogging the computer lately to do my homework for my online courses that I'm taking through Grace College.  I figure it's about time that I do something fun online instead of all of that boring schoolwork.  Plus I owe Lindsay several dozen posts since she's been doing this awesome blog for three years and this is my very first post.  So here goes nothing, I get you can't guess what the subject of my first post is going to be...
 
 
My two favorite riding partners!  A couple of weeks ago we bought a minivan (insert all of your snarky minivan comments here, we actually love it!) specifically to haul our tandem bikes.  That's right, I said tandem bikesss!  We bought the van and the next week we drove it up to Michigan to pick up a tandem for Lindsay to captain.  It has a beautiful Purple/Green/Black metallic paintjob and a sweet Rolf Prima wheelset.  The boys are going to be fighting over who gets to stoke this thing; it's super cool.  The above photo is from her maiden voyage and make sure you check out the stoker's smile!
 
 
Two more big smiles and do you notice the color change? The top pic is a green tandem and this one is purple, how did she do that? Lindsay is wearing her birthday present by the way. I think I did pretty good, although she makes it about as easy as it gets. Beautiful girl, beautiful smiles, beautiful bike, and a beautiful day to boot!
 
 
Levi officially began his bicycle racing career this morning.  He and I teamed up to race a 12.5 mile time trial down in Bluffton.  We entered the "sto-kid" division and faced some stiff competition from a father daughter duo and a mixed husband and wife team that was probably a little older than my folks.  Here we are taking off down the start ramp.  Levi kept repeating "3...2...1...and you're off" on the way home while he launched his monster truck down the ramp on the side of his carseat.  I think he enjoyed it.

 
 
Waving at our fan club, Mom & Myles.  We started with a minor tailwind and a slight descent along with a bit of adrenaline so Levi had to remind me to keep it in check and save some for the return voyage.
 
 
We kept enough in the tank to make it back.  This is the turn onto the short finishing straight.  We tried really hard to catch this guy for the last two miles but couldn't quite reel him in.  Honestly, I think my stoker could have put a little more effort in, but he was too busy pointing out all of the bike racers, combines, and hundreds of other things that I couldn't quite understand. 

 
Can you see Levi digging in for the final kick to the line?  Yeah, I don't see it either.  He did get very excited when he saw the finishing banners with several hundred meters left to ride.  He threw his hands up and started clapping.  We're going to have to work on his premature celebrations, finish strong all the way to the line Levi!
 
 
Myles was there for our moral support.  Someday it'll be Levi & Myles vs. Mom & Dad on the tandems.  Those will be some fun rides!
 
 
Levi's first podium, and he made it on to the first step!  Way to go Levi!  We were several minutes faster than this team and we beat the other tandem by about 15 seconds.  Our time was 33.23 for 12.5 miles.  My computer said we averaged 21.7 and I was pretty pleased with that.  We brought home the hardware and a fancy looking jar of Colavita Olive Oil.  I think Levi enjoyed the chocolate milk that had at the finish the most.
 

 
It was chilly before we started so we had a chance to break out the old bear suit.  Levi lived in this thing through his first Colorado winter and we didn't think Myles would get to wear it.  Of course he looked super cute!  I need to find a photo of Levi in the suit and see if there is any resemblence.  I bet there is.
 
 
 
Best fan award goes to this good looking team!  I think it was hard for Lindsay to see everyone else getting to race their bikes, but she had a great attitude and let Levi and I soak in all the fun.  Thanks Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment